The first class of the Bible Creation Course will be this Sunday, 11 January immediately following the first and second services. The Power Point slides I will be using are now available here. This first class is an overview of what you can expect in the following sessions.
Links to Course Resources:
- Genesis 1:1-4:3, the first and second creation stories in one document – (PDF).
- Bible differences: a side-by-side comparison of my translation of the first creation story and that of the NRSV – (PDF)
An online translation and line-by-line commentary for the first creation story in book form can be viewed and/or downloaded from here . The online translation and line-by-line commentary for the second creation story can be accessed here.
Supplemental (N.T. Wright) Videos
- The Historicity of Adam and Eve
- N.T. Wright: How to study the Bible
- N.T. Wright and Pete Enns: What do you mean by “literal”
- N.T. Wright on Understanding Ancient Texts
These videos explore the them Wright’s understanding of what it means to read the Bible “literally” and are particularly relevant to this class.
And finally, have you ever wondered how translators decide what words go into a particular Bible. This video will show you the translation committee for the ESV Bible – a group of well-known and rightly respected scholars – discussing the translation of single Hebrew word, the word commonly translated as “slave”.